The Hague, H&M, and other adventures
This weekend was a bit off, because my fiets was kapoot (bike broken) and I had to push it half way home on Friday. We decided take advantage of my inability to get to the market quickly...Jake made a lightening market run while Elena and I walked to the AH and loaded up. Then we caught a train and dashed to a distant part of Den Haag. Why? Why you ask. Well as you probably all know, it is the location of the world famous shop, Zwarte Vogel (the black bird). Jake has wanted to see it in person since we arrived. So we did. Elena and I mostly visited with the bunny's out front...but she did go inside and announce, 'it's a pigeon show!' Ah, her father's daughter.

The we walked through the Haag market - which was HUGE, grabbed a coffee in the center to enjoy the sun then strolled back to the station. Spring is in full force - there are flowers and baby geese to prove it.


Today, Elena and Jake headed to the park to play 'football' while I started cleaning the house. Really what I was doing was throwing out random junk from Elena's toy cubbies and other stashing locations. I managed to ditch the horrid pink dollhouse of 184534876234236 pieces that Ukkie got her for Stinterklaus as well as a whole nest of paper. I threw out the assorted 'birthday gifts' from friends at Ukkie. Then I stashed toys in a giant IKEA bag by the washing machine. It's true, I've turned into my mother.
In addition, Elena has outgrown a good deal of her clothes and those that still fit are too warm for the spring weather....so, since it was Koopzondag (shopping Sunday), I headed out to replenish her drawers. I've gotten good at some parts, I travel with a set of her clothes that fit, to size up the options. However, every child in Utrecht must wear size 98, because I could not find pants in her size for the life of me! V&D, Hema, C&A, the other HEMA....so I sucked it up and went to.....H&M. You may not be farmiliar with this clothing store, but it is a very popular 'trendy', inexpensive clothing shop. In the US, they have just arrived in many cities - in Utrecht we have 4. They have inexpensive and cute children's clothes in funky euro styles that Elena likes because, let's face it, she is euro now. So, I manage to find pants, in her size, and assorted other items. I go get in line. Over an hour later, I pay. Yes, you read that correctly, an hour in line. Now I didn't have a watch, so I saw the long time (there were like 10 people in front of my) all cashiers were open....so I figured, suck it up, or you'll repeat this again with Elena in the stroller and half the things in her size will be sold out. So, I waited. After about 30 minutes (when I heard the guy behind me say what time it was in a exasperated tone to his girl friend), I though, damn, I'm going to be here for another 30 minutes. What do you do? Get out of line and 'waste' those 30 minutes, or keep waiting. I kept waiting. Then, I was awarded a 15 minute bonus waiting when the one woman in front of me, holding two items, was joined by her friend and her friends teenage daughter, holding an arm load of clothing. First woman left. Returned with teenage daughter and armload of clothing, and teenage daughter's friend with her arm load of clothing. No fair! Then two of them needed price checks! I was like, it's an ugly shirt, just don't get it...buzzz, buzzz, some woman comes takes offending shirt away. She can't find the shirt, returns with offending shirt asks them if they really want it (say no). Teenage daughter #1 leaves with sales helper to find shirt. They do. For only 9E, the ugly spangly kitten shirt is sold and then teenage daughter's friend has a price check probem for some sort of pants (I think). Then it is my turn. Thankfully I've learned my lesson about shopping in Europe - there are no sales racks and there are always, always long lines. So it is best just to buy a bunch of stuff at once, otherwise you'll be waiting the same hourlong line next week for that pair of pants you should have bought the week before. I was going to take a picture to prove my 'kill' but the camera was full and I"m too tired.
Elena and I planted flowers when I returned home. Then she watered the rocks (whatever) while I read in the sun. Very nice. It is so warm and sunny here right now. I want to go out for a coffee every afternoon to bake in the sun.
The we walked through the Haag market - which was HUGE, grabbed a coffee in the center to enjoy the sun then strolled back to the station. Spring is in full force - there are flowers and baby geese to prove it.
Today, Elena and Jake headed to the park to play 'football' while I started cleaning the house. Really what I was doing was throwing out random junk from Elena's toy cubbies and other stashing locations. I managed to ditch the horrid pink dollhouse of 184534876234236 pieces that Ukkie got her for Stinterklaus as well as a whole nest of paper. I threw out the assorted 'birthday gifts' from friends at Ukkie. Then I stashed toys in a giant IKEA bag by the washing machine. It's true, I've turned into my mother.
In addition, Elena has outgrown a good deal of her clothes and those that still fit are too warm for the spring weather....so, since it was Koopzondag (shopping Sunday), I headed out to replenish her drawers. I've gotten good at some parts, I travel with a set of her clothes that fit, to size up the options. However, every child in Utrecht must wear size 98, because I could not find pants in her size for the life of me! V&D, Hema, C&A, the other HEMA....so I sucked it up and went to.....H&M. You may not be farmiliar with this clothing store, but it is a very popular 'trendy', inexpensive clothing shop. In the US, they have just arrived in many cities - in Utrecht we have 4. They have inexpensive and cute children's clothes in funky euro styles that Elena likes because, let's face it, she is euro now. So, I manage to find pants, in her size, and assorted other items. I go get in line. Over an hour later, I pay. Yes, you read that correctly, an hour in line. Now I didn't have a watch, so I saw the long time (there were like 10 people in front of my) all cashiers were open....so I figured, suck it up, or you'll repeat this again with Elena in the stroller and half the things in her size will be sold out. So, I waited. After about 30 minutes (when I heard the guy behind me say what time it was in a exasperated tone to his girl friend), I though, damn, I'm going to be here for another 30 minutes. What do you do? Get out of line and 'waste' those 30 minutes, or keep waiting. I kept waiting. Then, I was awarded a 15 minute bonus waiting when the one woman in front of me, holding two items, was joined by her friend and her friends teenage daughter, holding an arm load of clothing. First woman left. Returned with teenage daughter and armload of clothing, and teenage daughter's friend with her arm load of clothing. No fair! Then two of them needed price checks! I was like, it's an ugly shirt, just don't get it...buzzz, buzzz, some woman comes takes offending shirt away. She can't find the shirt, returns with offending shirt asks them if they really want it (say no). Teenage daughter #1 leaves with sales helper to find shirt. They do. For only 9E, the ugly spangly kitten shirt is sold and then teenage daughter's friend has a price check probem for some sort of pants (I think). Then it is my turn. Thankfully I've learned my lesson about shopping in Europe - there are no sales racks and there are always, always long lines. So it is best just to buy a bunch of stuff at once, otherwise you'll be waiting the same hourlong line next week for that pair of pants you should have bought the week before. I was going to take a picture to prove my 'kill' but the camera was full and I"m too tired.
Elena and I planted flowers when I returned home. Then she watered the rocks (whatever) while I read in the sun. Very nice. It is so warm and sunny here right now. I want to go out for a coffee every afternoon to bake in the sun.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home