December 5th Madness
We will just be honest, this week has been more than a little crazy. First of all, Elena got pretty sick on Sunday. She is doing better now, but couldn't go to daycare all week...great timing for her parents cramming for the biggest meeting of the year. December 5th is Dutch Holiday Madness...Sinterklaus! Ukkie had a party and was only open for 1 hour. Elena was feeling a bit better and really wanted to go. So we went. When Sinterklaus and the Zwarte Piet's (black faced parents - don't even get me started on this one...) arrived, Elena proceeded to have a complete and total meltdown. The party consisted of standing outside while Elena alternated crying and watching in facination. We opened presents at home. Ukkie thoughtfully picked out a 93 piece pink plastic doll house. I got a blood blister on my thumb trying to put the darn thing together. Then Jake and I switched off - and I managed to get the last of my flume runs in. I got home and Elena was laying in bed demanding cuddles while Jake was desperately trying to make pizza for my birthday. The big 3-0 this year. While Jake made dinner and 'momma was in the bathroom' Sinterklaus rang the buzzer! (tradition is that during dinner, there is a loud knock at the door and a bag of presents is outside). After Elena yelled from the back and determined that neither Sinterklaus or the Zwarte Piet's were *in* the house, she came running out to find a basket full of presents. She ripped through them in no time. We had a great dinner of pizza and greek salad. Then I got to open my presents. I think the biggest feat was that Jake managed to buy the presents with Elena and then hide them in the house in such a way that she didn't tattle right away on their location (like she did for Jake's presents!). Elena got me a bulb kit (how dutch) and Jake helped pick out a beautiful handpainted dish I've been longingly adoring in the kookwinkle. Then we had an amazing tart that he took great pains to order and have delivered - it was mocha and super lekker!




Now we are busy with the finishing touches on packing, the taxi is arranged, and we are off for the 20 hour plane flight. If you hear screaming over head, don't worry, it is probably just us.




Now we are busy with the finishing touches on packing, the taxi is arranged, and we are off for the 20 hour plane flight. If you hear screaming over head, don't worry, it is probably just us.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home