WeGoDutch

Erin, Jake, and Elena's adventures as we travel to The Netherlands.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Double Dutch points

This morning Jake and I completed our first double dutch ride, winning bonus Dutchy points.

Last night a spoke on my wheel broke (second one!) So until the bike shops opened, I was without wheels. We also wanted to try to finally get a local doctor. (I know, I know). We had been told by some expat friends that if we went to this local information place, they would helps us find one. So, while we waited for the bike shops to open, we headed down there. We both rode on Jake's bike. How is this you ask? Well we obviously couldn't take a picture of ourselves but it goes like this.

One person (Jake) starts pedaling slowly.
Second person (Erin), runs along side an hops on the back rack of the bike, crossing legs for balance and leaning a bit back.

Real Dutchies learn to do this when they are like 7 and have no fear. I am, however, no longer 7 and have fear. So I clung to Jake's jacket for dear life. We did pretty good. I got a really impressive back and ab workout and Jake was working hard to pedal us both over the tiny rises over the canals. We got leads on a doctor and have a 'meeting appointment' (I guess they decide if they like us?) before AGU.

Jake biked me almost all the way home, I jumped off at the local bakery to pick up some treats for our trip to Zurich this weekend.

We always confound the Dutch. We look 'almost' so Dutch - except for my desperate clinging, rather than confident hands in pocket and Jake wearing his helmet. Our theory is that most people think that Jake (or I when riding alone) must have some brain injury requiring a helmet. Together, I think they know we are Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home