WeGoDutch

Erin, Jake, and Elena's adventures as we travel to The Netherlands.

Friday, January 06, 2006

First Tulips

Well, enough was enough. We have been in Holland for over a week with no tulips. Thursday Elena and I headed out for a post-tramatic Ukkie Dutch lunch healing Fristi (which is a berry flavor, slightly carbonated yougurt drink - it sounds gross, I know, but it really is pretty good). Elena obviously loves Fristi and some how has learned to drink from a straw with out Jake and I know quite how she did it. Anyway, on the way out of HEMA, the flower stand was too much, and I bought a huge bunch of tulips for 5 Euros (40 tulips for maybe $6). So very dutchy biking home with Elena on the back, milk in my saddle bags and a bunch of tulips balanced on my handle bars.

Many are concerned we are starving. Earlier this week, there was danger of wasting away to mere stale duck food. But a good expat friend has helped us locate some different stores and today Elena and I stopped at a 'Green' Grocer. Oh, so much better! Many different types of vegitables, better fruits, even some fresh herbs and ginger, AND dried, bulk bean and peas! And we have found a larger AH with more options. It turns out the local one is sort of a 'quickie' mart - although an amazing number of people seem to do their everyday shopping there. We are now just getting bread and milk there - as we go through these things very quickly and it is closest to home.

I have to say, a bright bunch of red tulips on the table makes the ubiquitous Dutch brown bread taste a bit brighter!