Bike Slide
It has been cold. The back pond frozen solid. Yesterday was very cold but this morning it warmed up just enough to have a light drizzle on -2 degree (C) streets. All of those handy bridges over the canals iced over from the time I'd unlocked the bike to the time Elena was loaded on. We made our way to Ukkie. The sidewalks were covered in ice and I got off the bike to walk it up to Ukkie, we just slowly slide down the gentle slope of the sidewalk. When I was leaving, there was an Utrecht traffic jam. A cherry picker like truck going one way and a garbage truck going the other were head to head on the one lane bridge out front. In the short time, cars had backed up in both directions so that neither truck could back up. The bridge was iced over and both bike lanes were blocked. So everyone was getting off their bikes and sliding across the bridge trying to get enough traction to push their bikes across the ice. Of course, by 11 am the sun was out and ice had all melted.
<< Home